NEW DOCUMENT: ENERCA RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SICKLE CELL DISORDERS – HAEMOGLOBINOPATHIES
The ENERCA experts have published a consensus document with recommendations for a better management of Sickle Cell Disorders and Haemoglobinopathies. The ENERCA recommendations are oriented to medical staff expert as well as non-experts in the field, offering objective and reliable information for the management of these diseases. The elaboration of such document has been coordinated by Dr. Béatrice Gulbis within the ENERCA3 WorkPackage 4.
ENERCA treasures a wide knowledge on the diagnosis and treatment of rare anaemias. The objective of theENERCA recommendations is not to duplicate existing guidelines but to collect from the ENERCA partners the guidelines already available and produce a review recommendation compiling all the expertise in the field. Over 250 references have been digested to elaborate a document covering:
- Recommendations for preconceptional or antenatal screening, prenatal diagnosis and genetic counselling of haemoglobinopathies.
- Recommendations for Standard follow-up of children affected with sickle cell disease.
- Recommendations for red blood cells transfusion in children affected with sickle cell disease.
- Recommendations for first line management of children affected with sickle cell disease.
- Recommendations for management of pregnancy.
The recommendations are available at the Training Activities section of the ENERCA website. Some of these recommendations were already published in a 2011 article for the American Journal of Hematology. During the next years, thanks to the new eENERCA project, the ENERCA experts will keep on working to offer reliable information and tools for a better management of rare anaemias.